If Spring had a flavor, it would be these Lemon Poppyseed Sweet Rolls, the freshness of the lemon and the sweetness of the icing. They bring some sunshine into your kitchen. These rolls make a great breakfast treat or a fantastic dessert. They are such a fun twist on a traditional cinnamon roll. Get ready to fall in love, it is hard to stop at one.
More recipes to fall in love with: Cinnamon Twists, Overnight Eggs Benedict, Gingerbread French Toast and Cheddar Bagels.
My main goal is to create easy meals that can be enjoyed by the whole family. These days it seems like we are getting pulled in a thousand ways, except toward our homes and our dinner table. Dinner is the perfect time to take a deep breath and talk as a family, doesn’t matter if there are 2 of you or 10. I want to be able to help encourage you and provide doable meals that can help make this time happen.
Family favorite meals: BBQ Chicken Loaded Sweet Potatoes, Thai Chicken Curry with Coconut Milk, Creamy Sausage Tortellini Soup, Chicken Rice Bowls and Taco Zucchini Boats.
- 1 cup warm whole milk (microwave about 40 seconds) too hot and it will kill your yeast!
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 6 tablespoons room temp butter (see notes below if needing to microwave butter)
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 1/4 tsp yeast
- 2 eggs
- 1 Tbsp poppyseeds
- 5 cups white flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 Tbsp butter
- lemon zest from 2 lemons
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons whole milk (add until you get the consistency you like)
- Mix 1 cup warm milk, 1/3 cup white sugar, 6 tablespoons room temp butter, 1 tsp salt and 2 1/4 tsp yeast. Mix until fully combined.
- Add in 2 eggs and 1 Tbsp poppyseeds. Mix only for a few seconds as you don’t want to over beat your eggs.
- Put dough hook on. Add in 1 cup of flour at a time. I tend to use all 5 cups but depending on how accurate your measurements or how large the eggs you may need a little less or a little more. (Dough should be nice and elastic not sticking to the sides of the bowl.)
- Cover with plastic wrap or towel and let rise. Usually 2 hours depending on temp of house! If I am in a pinch and need it to rise fast I will turn my oven on to 170 degrees and then turn it off once it’s preheated. Place the bowl with dough in oven until it doubles in size.
- While dough is rising, in a bowl mix 3 tablespoons of melted butter, 1/2 cup sugar, lemon zest, 1 Tbsp lemon juice and 1/2 tsp vanilla extract.
- To prepare for filling: Lightly dust work surface with flour. Roll out dough into your best rectangle. Usually looking more like a weird oval.
- Spread filling mixture over your dough. Making sure to not leave any area out.
- Start to roll hotdog style by starting with one of the long sides rolling toward your opposite long side of rectangle. Here you can cut your cinnamon rolls large or small. I cut them according to how many people I am baking for. Anywhere between 8 to 14. Place in well buttered 9×13 dish.
- Cover and let rise again usually 2 hours. I like to let mine get really big and fluffy! Again if I am wanting them to rise quickly I place in the oven just like above. Or if I’m making them for the next day place in fridge overnight.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 22 to 25 minutes. If you placed them in the fridge over night REMOVE 1.5 hours before baking.
- Whisk together 2 tablespoons melted butter and 2 tsp vanilla extract.
- Add in 3 cups confectioners sugar. Add in 1 tablespoon of milk and 1 Tbsp lemon juice.
- Add in 1 Tbsp lemon juice. Check consistency. If it is still too thick add in 1 more Tbsp milk.
- Whisk until well combined.
- Once your Lemon Poppyseed Sweet Rolls are done cooking let cool for about 10 minutes before pouring icing on. If you ice too soon your icing will melt to the bottom.
Be sure to leave a comment or tag me on Instagram @plantpraypick anytime you make one of my recipes. I love hearing from you and seeing my recipes in your kitchens. My goal is to bring us back to our kitchens and families back to the dinner table together.
While you make your filling and icing, I encourage you to do a taste testing. Seeing if it needs more lemon. Start with a little and build from there.
Other Recipe Ideas
My Amazon picks.
Click on photo to view on Amazon.