Zucchini boats are an awesome way to get in a lot of veggie in a delicious way. And who doesn’t love tacos? So, why not throw the two together?
These zucchini boats can be changed so many different ways to fit you and your family. I use ground beef but if you like chicken that works great! Ground turkey? Knock yourself out! Ground pork? Sounds awesome. That’s why I love them!
I love saving a little of the toppings for a salad the next day or to put over rice! An awesome dinner and great left overs? Like come on, how perfect?
A tip on getting the insides of the zucchinis out: score the centers with a knife to break it up a bit. Use a spoon to scoop out centers. This makes scraping out the centers a lot easier.
- 3-4 zucchinis
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 can diced tomaotes
- 1 can rinsed and drained black beans
- 3 Tbsp or 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Salt and pepper
- About 1/2 cup shredded cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 and line a 9×11 glass baking dish with parchment paper.
- Cook ground beef until fully cooked. Add in taco seasoning, just like if you were making traditional tacos.
- While ground beef is cooking cut ends off of zucchini’s and then cut in half long ways. Scrape out centers (see above for easy scraping) of zucchini’s to form a boat. Be sure to leave a little on each end so it forms a “boat”. See photo above.
- Place your zucchini boats in your prepped baking dish and season them with salt and pepper.
- Once your ground beef is cooked and seasoned with taco seasoning add in what you scraped out of your zucchini’s (the centers of the zucchinis) , 1 can diced tomatoes, 1 can rinsed and drained black beans, 1 tsp onion powder and 1 tsp garlic powder.
- Give a good stir and let simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Using a spoon with holes, because it is very runny this helps to only scoop the meat mixture and not all the liquid, scoop your meat mix into the zucchini boats. There will be a lot so you can either load up your boats or save some to top a salad or rice later.
- Top with shredded cheese and bake. For firmer zucchini’s bake for 20 minutes. For softer zucchini boats bake for 30 minutes.
Let me know you made these by tagging me on Instagram @plantpraypick