I needed something new. We typically make tortellini topped with spaghetti sauce with meat. But, I just wanted to be able to enjoy it in a new way! If you have been here for any period of time you know I LOVE using my crockpot. It’s just the best throwing it all together in the morning and having a delicious dinner waiting for you! It is kinda like you’re own personal little chef.
I couldn’t find a recipe that perfectly suited our family and what we love so I just decided to make my own. This recipe warms you up from the inside out. It has lots of flavor using spices you have on hand.
The cheesiness of the tortellini with the savory flavors and broth make for the perfect crockpot soup. If you’re looking for the perfect side pair this meal with my Pull Apart Dinner Rolls. Click here for recipe.
If crockpots aren’t you’re thing no worries you can totally make this on the stove top or even in your Dutch oven! Just keep scrolling to find instructions for the stove top version.
If you make this recipe be sure to tag me on Instagram @plantpraypick or leave a comment. I love love love seeing my recipes in your kitchens!
- 1 package of cheesy tortellini
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups chopped carrots *about 6 carrots*
- 1 1/2 cups chopped celery *about 6 stalks*
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp onion powder or 1/2 an onion chopped
- 2 tsp basil
- 2 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp thyme
- 2 tsp garlic
- 1 tsp paprika
- In crockpot add 2 cups of carrots, 1 1/2 cups celery, 3 Tbsp olive oil, 1 Tbsp onion powder or chopped onion, 2 tsp basil, 2 tsp oregano, 2 tsp thyme, 2 tsp garlic and 1 tsp paprika. Add in 6 cups chicken broth and 1 can diced tomatoes. Give it a good stir.
- Place lid on crockpot and turn on low for 6-8 hours or high for 4-5 hours.
- About 15 minutes before serving add in tortellini and 1/2 cup milk. Give it another good stir and switch crockpot to high.
- After 15 minutes turn crockpot back to low and serve. Pair it with my Pull Apart Dinner Rolls. They go perfect together.
Stove Top version:
- In a deep pot or a dutch oven place 3 Tbsp olive oil, 2 cups carrots, 1 1/2 cup celery *if you’re using a chopped onion add this in at this time* and sauté for about 7 to 10 minutes.
- Add in 1 Tbsp onion powder *if you didn’t use a chopped onion*, 2 tsp basil, 2 tsp oregano, 2 tsp thyme, 2 tsp garlic and 1 tsp paprika. Add in 6 cups chicken broth and 1 can diced tomatoes. Bring to a boil and give a good stir.
- Place lid on and turn to low and let simmer for about 20 to 30 minutes or until carrots are tender.
- Place tortellini and 1/2 cup milk in and give it another good stir. Let cook for about 10 minutes.
- Pair it with my Pull Apart Dinner Rolls. They go perfect together.