It is the most wonderful time of year for good food. This bread is the best because it makes the perfect breakfast, perfect dessert or perfect addition to a charcuterie board. I make it with my homemade applesauce. It makes the bread perfectly moist. My applesauce recipe is super easy to make and takes hardly anytime. Click here for my applesauce recipe. The crumble topping is what really seals the deal here. It has a nice crunch to it and adds the most amazing touch of sweetness on top!
I use my homemade applesauce but of course you can use any applesauce you want. Plain applesauce or even cinnamon applesauce works great. If you don’t have olive oil that is ok, too. Avocado or vegetable oil or canola oil works great. I make my own gingerbread mix in this recipe. If you have a premade one that is awesome, and you can definitely use that.
HOMEMADE GINGERBREAD MIX
In a bowl mix these ingredients together.
3 Tbsp ground ginger
1 Tbsp ground allspice
2 Tbsp ground cinnamon
1 Tbsp ground nutmeg
1 Tbsp ground cloves
I love keeping this gingerbread mix in my cupboard. I use it in my Gingerbread French Toast Casserole, and it is just so delicious.
Gingerbread French Toast Casserole
If you make this recipe, be sure to leave a comment or tag me on Instagram @plantpraypick. I love hearing from you and seeing my recipes in your kitchens!
- 1 egg
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 Tbsp gingerbread mix
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 Tbsp butter, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/4 tsp gingerbread mix
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a bread loaf pan.
- In a large mixing bowl add 1 egg, 1 cup of applesauce, 1 tsp vanilla and 1/2 cup of olive oil. Mix for about 30 seconds.
- In a separate medium size bowl, combine 1 1/2 cups of flour, 1 tsp baking soda, 2 Tbsp gingerbread mix and 1 cup of sugar.
- Slowly mix dry ingredients into wet. Mix until combined. About 30 seconds.
- Pour your bread batter into your prepped loaf pan.
- Prepare your crumble topping. In a medium size bowl mix 3 Tbsp melted butter, 1 tsp vanilla, 1 1/2 tsp gingerbread mix, 1/4 cup brown sugar and 1/2 cup flour. Mix until combined and crumbly.
- Crumble your topping evenly overtop your bread batter.
- Bake for 55 minutes or until a bread knife comes out clean.
My Amazon picks.