Prep time: 1 hour 45 minutes
Cook time: 10-12 minutes
Total time: 2 hours
Homemade Hamburger Buns! Once you make them homemade you won’t go back! Trust me. I use this recipe all the time. I had been on the lookout for a good hamburger bun recipe but I couldn’t find one that I loved. Until this one!
If it’s easy and delicious it’s my kind of dish. But seriously, if it takes a bunch of ingredients and has things on the list I’m not sure even where to find, you can forget it. I love these buns because they are easy and have real ingredients.
In all honesty I don’t have a fancy “bun cutter” or anything. I use a round Tupperware that is the perfect size for buns. You could use a large mouth cup or a big cookie cutter or a small bowl. Whatever works best for your desired bun size!
These buns are very forgiving and you can switch out ingredients for what you have on hand. With BBQing season upon us these buns are sure to become a staple in your family as well! I hope you enjoy them as much as we do.
- 3 to 4 cups of white flour (if you have whole wheat flour that works great too!)
- 2 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon monk fruit (you can use white sugar or honey instead)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- In kitchen aid mixer, mix together 3 cups of flour and 2 teaspoon yeast
- Microwave 1 cup of water for 40 seconds. We don’t want it too hot
- Mix into warm water 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon monk fruit (or sweetener of your choice) and 1/3 cup olive oil. Add in 1 egg and mix
- Slowly mix in water mixture to flour and yeast
- You want your dough to be pulling away from the sides. If dough is sticky add in 1 tablespoon of flour in at a time.
- Cover and let rise until doubled in size, about 45
- On a lightly floured surface roll dough out to about 1/2 inch thick and cut to desired size. Depending on the size you choose you will end with 8 to 10 buns. Mine are about 3 1/2 inches wide
- Place on greased baking sheet and cover. Let rise again for about 45 minutes. Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Option here to make egg wash with egg and a splash of water. Brush onto buns. I don’t always do this. It just gives them a nice touch and if using sesame seeds it will help them stick
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool before cutting in half
Let me know you made these! Tag me on Instagram @mbenton22